SI have one more healthy-ish recipe for you. (The next one will make up for the healthy stuff, it’s a decadent dessert that was a big hit at last night’s “Big Game” Party.) A five minute homemade hummus so easy you won’t even think about buying store bought hummus again. I might be overly optimistic, but I’m hopeful you’ll agree it’s the best ever!
Easy to make, easy to clean, easy to eat.
I haven’t always been so accepting of chick peas, aka garbanzo beans. 2018 was the year I learned to embrace both kale chips and chicken peas, what a year! What’s left to try in 2019?! These legumes are so healthy, so full of nutrients and protein, how could they taste good?
I guess the truth is…..they don’t really. Not by themselves anyway. But add some garlic, lots of lemon juice, salt, honey and tahini and they are a tasty snack. (Tahini was also a mystery to me. Turns out, it’s actually a puree of sesame seeds. The sesame seed version of peanut butter.) I like my hummus simple, but there are so many great things to add in for even more flavor, i.e. roasted garlic, spinach, roasted red pepper and avocado….. just to name a few. So feel free to experiment and if you find a flavor that knocks your socks off, please feel free to come back here and share with the rest of us.
- 15 oz. chickpeas or garbanzo beans, drained (bu save 1/4 cup of liquids to add in later)
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (and sometimes I add even more)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 small clove garlic
- In a food processor or blender, combine chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, honey, salt, garlic, and 3 tablespoons of the reserved chickpea liquids.
- Blend on high speed until light and creamy, about 30 seconds. If mixture is too thick, add in 1 more tablespoon of chicken pea liquie.
- Serve with pita, crackers, or veggies.
*To the best of my ability, I have tried to indicate all ingredients, products and equipment that are available at Johnnies in Bold Print.
Recipe found and adapted from www.bromabakery.com.