Tacos are one of my favorites, and one of my family’s most requested dinner suggestions. I think everyone would be happy if we had a weekly taco night. I am partial to my taco recipe, I’ve been using it for probably 8 years consistently. In an effort to “spice things up”, this time I swapped the taco shells for peppers. After all, my garden is still bursting at the seams with peppers of all shapes, colors and sizes.
I am also proud to say it’s a simplified recipe. Once you mix together the meat and the seasonings/spices, the slow cooker does the rest of the work. (Well, you do have to stuff the peppers. The crockpot can’t do that part.) Leaving you time to perfect your guacamole or margarita recipe.
This tasty dish will make your kitchen smell delicious. The only problem will be how impatient your family is to eat them.
Slow Cooked Taco Stuffed Peppers
- 6 small red or green bell peppers
- 1 cup prepared rice
- 1 lb. of ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup water
- Cut off the stems on your peppers and scoop out the seeds on the inside, leaving a hollow shell.
- In a bowl, mix together your ground beef, salsa, beef broth, minced garlic, brown sugar and soy sauce.
- Stir in the rice.
- Mix in the shredded cheese.
- Pack each pepper shell with the beef mixture, maybe 1 cup of the mix.
- Place the stuffed peppers into a crockpot and pour a cup of water into the bottom.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Top with a little extra cheese 10 minutes before they are done. (I couldn’t fit all of the peppers in my crockpot. I actually filled a deep oven safe pot with a cup of water, set the oven to 250 degrees, put the peppers in the pot and the cover on top. Cooked just like the crockpot peppers). You could also top with crushed tortilla chips, bacon or diced jalapeños.
*To the best of my ability, I have tried to indicate all ingredients, products and equipment that are available at Johnnies in Bold Print.